Up your income with sporting short lets
The Tenant Fee Ban will have well and truly taken hold by the time we enter the UK’s summer sporting season, and the fixtures list represents an excellent opportunity for letting agents to increase their property management and lettings income.
Prestigious matches, events and sporting festivals attract thousands of media commentators, spectators, sportspeople and crew, who all need a place to stay. Increasingly, renting a residential property over a hotel room is preferred as the perks include privacy, a more relaxed atmosphere, parking and a closer proximity to sports grounds or training camps.
Lettings agents can provide a number of services to help facilitate short sporting lets, including the marketing of properties to teams, fans, sports bodies and corporate groups, and property management during the event, including check in/out, cleaning and monies handling.
There are also multiple audiences a letting agent can target client side. These can include vacant property owners who have not found a buyer or a tenant; home owners looking to coincide their summer holiday with a local sporting event and second homeowners who are leaving their UK property empty over the summer.
Sporting short lets are considered such big business that many agents – including the likes of Hamptons – have dedicated departments set up to handle such rentals and you can see why. Property owners in Wimbledon, for example, can expect to charge double the usual ‘per week’ rent during the tennis tournament – of which an agent can charge a percentage of to manage the tenancy.
Despite the high returns, there is no escaping that short lets can be labour intensive but that’s where Viewber can help. We have local, vetted Viewbers close to every sporting stadium and event in England. Our Viewbers can meet and greet guests, look after key exchanges, check ID and conduct property reports after the tenancy has ended. Viewber as a company can also install key safes at individual properties, which are beneficial where the duration of stay may be as short as 24 hours or there may be multiple tenants.
Some of this summer’s sporting highlights are below. If you have customers or properties close to the venues listed, think about how you can increase business with short lets:
Summer sporting fixtures 2019
- Wimbledon – held at the All England Lawn Tennis Club between 1st and 14th July
- Cricket World Cup – throughout June and July
- Henley Royal Regatta – taking over the river between 3rd and 7th July
- British Formula One Grand Prix – happening at Silverstone between 12th and 14th July
- Cowdray Park Polo – the Gold Cup culminates between the 13th and 21st July
- Glorious Goodwood – a programme of events between 30th July and 3rd August
- The Ashes – running between 1st August and 16th September across five venues: Edgbaston, Lord’s, Headingley, Old Trafford and The Oval
- Rugby Union - England play Wales at Twickenham on 10th August
- Rugby league Challenge Cup final – being held at Wembley on 24th August
Feel free to contact Viewber if you’d like to know more about reducing your legwork.